The Geography Curriculum at Abbotts Ann CE Primary School
We aim for Geography at Abbotts Ann to inspire in children a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives.
Our children are be given the opportunity to actively investigate a range of places – both locally and globally– to help develop their knowledge and understanding of the Earth’s physical and human processes.
We are committed to providing children with opportunities to investigate and make enquiries about their local area of Andover and Hampshire so that they can develop of real sense of who they are, their heritage and what makes our local area unique and special.
We want our children to see themselves as Geographers and in doing so, developing characteristics such as:
- an excellent knowledge of where places are and what they are like, both in Britain and the wider world
- a deepening understanding of the ways in which places are interdependent and interconnected
- a good understanding of geographical knowledge and vocabulary
- active participation in geographical enquiry and the ability to apply questioning skills, as well as effective presentation techniques
- the ability to reach clear conclusions and explain their findings
- excellent fieldwork skills which are developed each year as pupils progress through the school
- the ability to express well-balanced opinions, rooted in very good knowledge and understanding about current issues in society and the environment
- a genuine interest in the subject and a real sense of curiosity about the world and the people who live here
As part of this planning process, teachers plan the following:
- A sequence of lessons for each subject, which carefully plans for progression and depth concentrating on the geographical skills suited to the age group
- Challenge questions for pupils to apply their learning in a philosophical/open manner
- Trips and visiting experts who will enhance the learning experience
- There will be a clear progression of skills and knowledge between year groups
- Consistent learning and development of geographical vocabulary
Our Geography Curriculum is high quality, well thought out and is planned to demonstrate progression. We measure the impact of our curriculum through the following methods:
- Assessment of standards achieved against the planned outcomes
- Marking and feedback
- Children talking about their learning in Geography confidently (Verbal feedback; Pupil conferencing).
- Children are ready for the next stage of their education